- Academic Affairs Division (Kyomu)
1. Graduate Academic Affairs Section → courses, registration, grades, etc.
2. Undergraduate Academic Affairs Section → courses, registration, grades, etc.
3. Departmental Student Affairs Section → student affairs for each department
4. Student Support Section → certificates, scholarships, etc.
*For individual contact information, please click here.
Monday-Friday 8:30 AM- 5:15PM (except for lunch break, 0:45-1:45 PM)
Closed on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays
- Division for International Research and Educational Cooperation Graduate School of Science, Tohoku University (DiRECT)
E-mail: direct [at] mail.sci.tohoku.ac.jp
2F, Science Administration Center [H-11]
Monday-Friday 10:00 AM - 5:00PM (except for lunch break, 0:45-1:45 PM)
Closed on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays
Course Syllabus/Course Schedule, Registration, IGPAS online courses, Student Handbook
Academic Calendar/Course Guidance
- 1. The grading system at School of Science will be as follows
||Pass / Fail
||59 and below
- Results may be displayed as a pass or fail under certain circumstances.
- Grades may be awarded after consideration of submitted reports, attendance rates and course completion in addition to exam results under certain circumstances.
- The AA grade has been awarded to students with excellent results who were admitted after 2004. Hence grade AA is included in A for students who have admitted before that.
2. The syllabus will contain subjectwise course objectives (objectives for award of grades) and details on award of results. As a rule, grades will be awarded according to the achievement level of the objectives set for each subject.
3. Lecturers in charge should retain exam scripts and reports submitted by students for up to one year from the date of the exam and one year from the date of submission, respectively, for use in grading and for use in case a student wishes to disclose their results.
However this does not apply to cases in which lecturers return exam scripts to students with a grade or comments. In the case of an exam script, it is desirable to keep the original and return a copy of the script to the student.
(For reference: standard of document storage duration of Tohoku University: Exam scripts and reports for one year)
4. Students may request for an explanation of their examination results from the lecturer in charge within 2 weeks of the date of the examination.
However, in circumstances where the student has a valid reason, they may be able to request for an explanation within the one year storage period of their results.
5. Students who have received an explanation of their results and who wish to appeal their results may report this to the head of the Academic Affairs committee.
6. If there is an appeal, a meeting will be set up with the majority of the Academic Affairs committee in attendance, in order to discuss the appeal.
Usage of Student ID Card
The Student ID Card that you have been issued is needed to use Automatic Certificate Issuance Machines and the university libraries. Please be aware of the following when using your card.
- 1. Appearance of Name
Your name appears in Kanji characters or alphabetic and katakana (phonetic Japanese) characters on your card.
Kanji characters used to render Japanese and international students' names must conform to Japan Industrial Standards specifications 1 or 2.
Names that contain characters that cannot be rendered by these character sets shall be rendered entirely in katakana. The above also applies to certificates issued by Automatic Certificate Issuance Machines.
We are unable to issue Student ID Cards containing non-standard characters. Thank you for your understanding.
- 2. Passwords
A password for the Tohoku-Dai ID is required to use the Automatic Certificate Issuance Machines.
Your initial password is detailed in the "Integrated Electronic Authentication System of Tohoku University" notification that you received at orientation.
If you have any questions, please inquire at the Instruction Section.
You can change your password by accessing the Integrated Electronic Authentication System of Tohoku University password website and following the on-screen instructions. You should access this website and change your initial default password to a new one immediately.
*URL for Integrated Electronic Authentication System of Tohoku University password change:
- 3. Loss or destruction of Student ID Cards
Your Student ID Card may not function properly if it is deformed or exposed to strong magnetic fields.
Special care is required when using backpacks/bags that have magnetic clasps.
If your card becomes lost or damaged, please go to the Instruction Section to reissue.
- 4. Student ID
A unique Student ID is assigned to each student. Student ID for all students entering the university in or after the 2000 academic year follows the below format.
 The second to the last digit of the year of admission represented in alphabets.
A = 2000 to 2009 B = 2010 to 2019 ....
 The last number of the year of admission.
1 = 2011 2 = 2012 ....
 Faculty or Graduate School.
S = Science E = Engineering, ....
 division and student category to which you belong represented with alphabetic characters.
B = Bachelor M = Master's D = Doctoral
 The 1st letter of the last 4-digits represents department.
Undergraduate: 1 = Mathematics 2 = Physics, Astronomy & Geophysics4 = Chemistry
4 = Chemistry 5 = Earth Science 6 = Biology
Graduate: 1 = Mathematics 2 = Physics 3 = Astronomy
4 = Geophysics 5 = Chemistry 6 = Earth Science
Leave of absence, return to school, study abroad and withdrawal from school
Those wishing to take a leave of absence, return to school, study abroad or withdraw from school must confirm its procedures with the Academic Affairs Section and consult with their Head of department and (class) supervisor at the earliest possible date. These applications will not be retroactive.
- 1. Application for Leave of Absence
a) Those who wish to take a Leave of Absence for more than 3 months due to an illness or other circumstances should submit an "Application for Leave of Absence" (those with an illness should attach a medical certificate from their doctor, and those who wish to study abroad under a program other than the student exchange program should attach a copy of certificate of acceptance from the institution).
b) Leave of absence can be granted for more than 3 months, but less than 1 year. However, under special circumstances such as illness and studying abroad, leave of absence may be granted for more than 1 year.
c) The duration of the leave of absence is not counted as period of enrollment. Leave of absence will not be granted for more than a total of 2 years.
d) First date of leave of absence cannot be retroactive before the acceptance date of application.
e) Leave of absence will only be granted in unavoidable circumstances and may be refused in some cases.
f) Students may be exempt from paying tuition fees during their leave of absence (this excludes tuition fees that have already been paid).
g) To submit an application for a leave of absence, students must pay the tuition fees incurred for the term in which they submit their application.
- 2. Application to return to school
a) If you are able to return to school during your leave of absence, you may apply to return by filling in a request for application to return (those taking a leave of absence due to an illness must attach a medical certificate from their doctor stating that they are fit to return to school).
b) At the end of your leave of absence, you must fill in a form to notice to return to school.
- 3. Application to study abroad
- 4. Withdrawal from school
Tohokudai ID and password are necessary for accessing the information service provided by Tohoku University and must be kept confidential as they identify you. Refer to:
Notification of Personal details
If a student's name, current address, guardian or guardian's address is changed, they should inform the University.
Note: If the student's details are not up to date, all certificates issued will contain old details, and the University may be unable to get in touch with the student in an emergency.
Notification of Change in Personal Details [Word]
Download the form and submit it to Academic Affairs Section (at Kyomu #1 or #2 windows).
- Certificate Machines
- Certificate Machines are available from 8:30am to 9:00pm. ( Except the machine on Katahira campus closes at 5:00pm. )
- Student ID Card & Tohokudai ID password is required to log in.
- only available for your current program.
- can use any machine, regardless of your affiliation or home campus.
- may not be available for maintenance, updating, or trouble of the system.
||Operation Days & Hours
(Student Service Division)
|Mon - Sun
||8:30 AM - 9:00PM
|School of Science
|Science Administration Center
(In front of Kyomu#3)
|Mon - Fri
||8:30 AM - 9:00PM
||Extended Education & Research Building
School of Law
|Mon - Fri
||8:30 AM - 5:00PM
- Types of Certificate
Certificate Machine: issued instantly
Kyomu#3 Window: issued usually in 2 business days
*request clearly if you need a certificate Sealed in an envelope
|Certificate of Enrollment
|Certificate of Expected Completion
|Certificate of Completion
|Certificate for JR Student Discount
|Certificate for Commuter Pass
|Certificate of MEXT Scholarship